We’re looking for technology entrepreneurs solving the world’s toughest social and environmental problems in education, health, resource efficiency and economic empowerment. We offer early-stage risk capital as well as the value of our extensive network of entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, and executives who support our portfolio companies and increase their chances of success.
We will invest between $25K to $250K per company, with the potential for follow on funding as well.
We make investments at the pre-seed through Series A stages. Our sweet spot is seed stage, when you have proven some product-market fit and are raising between $500,000 and $1,500,000.
- You must be a for-profit company
- Impact may be global, but companies must be headquartered in the US or Canada
- You must be willing to co-sign our Impact Commitment
What We Invest In:
- Highly scalable models that use technology, primarily software and data, to enable the business and drive growth
- Products that drive social or environmental impact that is built into the company’s DNA so that revenues and impact grow hand-in-hand so your interests are aligned with a potential investor’s interests
- Action-oriented teams that have some evidence of product-market fit
What We Do Not Invest In:
- Companies that rely on a buy-one, give-one model (i.e. giving away a product or percentage of profits to charity)
- Fundraising platforms (e.g. x% for charity) or volunteer matching programs
- Companies that create and sell physical products without a software component
- Products that require a lengthy or expensive regulatory testing process to go to market
- Consulting models
Relevant Articles and Resources
- “Column for Entrepreneurs – Demystifying Angels” by Christopher Mirabile, Angel Capital Association
- “Getting Out Whole – With Your Soul Intact” by Howard Tullman, INC
- “What a Smart CEO Understands About Budgeting & Spending” by Kauffman Entrepreneurs
- “A step-by-step guide to prepare your Series A fundraising” by Mathias Ockenfels
If you’re interested in applying to Impact Engine please fill out our application form below. We require companies to submit an up-to-date copy of their pitch deck and executive summary with their applications.
Are you an entrepreneur looking for resources to prepare to apply for funding? Be sure to check out our our portfolio page to see other companies we’ve funded, read up on our impact due diligence process on our blog, and learn more about impact entrepreneurship in Chicago.
Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to get the latest updates from Impact Engine in your inbox each month.