CHICAGO, March 5, 2015 – Impact Engine, Chicago’s leading impact investing fund and accelerator, announced two new additions to its board of directors: Steve Miller and Dan Ratner. Both are respected entrepreneurs and investors who will lend their past experiences to support Impact Engine’s continued leadership in developing and supporting startup companies that create positive social or environmental impact.
Ratner is executive chairman and co-founder of Public Good Software, which leverages the technologies he built on behalf of the 2012 Obama for America campaign in service of the broader nonprofit sector. Before the campaign, Ratner served as co-founder and COO/CTO at Sittercity, the nation’s largest service dedicated to helping parents find quality childcare online.
Miller is a partner and co-founder of Origin Ventures, one of the first seed stage venture capital funds in Chicago. Origin invests in early stage technology companies in e-commerce, digital media and software-as-a-service, and was the first institutional investor in GrubHub, which went public in 2014 and is valued at over $3 billion. Before founding Origin Ventures, Miller launched the e-commerce business for Quill Corporation prior to its sale to Staples in 1998.
“I am proud to have supported Impact Engine from the beginning as a mentor and investor,” said Miller. “Joining the board allows me to focus even more energy and help Impact Engine build a strong portfolio of impact companies and a thriving community of entrepreneurs and investors around them.”
Ratner and Miller both emphasize the importance of entrepreneurs who are making a collective impact on today’s societal and environmental problems.
“I believe that impact entrepreneurship is the most important business trend I’ve seen in my career. Chicago has an unparalleled history of bringing together civic and commercial efforts and Impact Engine is a perfect example of it,” added Ratner.
Ratner and Miller join Impact Engine’s existing board of directors, which includes:
- Linda Darragh, co-founder of Impact Engine and leader of Kellogg School of Management’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship Initiative;
- Jessica Droste Yagan, Impact Engine CEO and former sustainable supply chain leader for McDonald’s Corporation;
- Jamie Jones, co-founder of Impact Engine and Innovation Advisor at RTI International, a leading research institute focused on improving the human condition;
- Greg Lernihan, co-founder of Convergint Technologies, one of the world’s leading commercial security and life safety systems integrators;
- Tasha Seitz, Impact Engine’s Chief Investment Officer and long-time technology venture capital investor with JK&B Capital; and
- Chuck Templeton (Chairman), founder of OpenTable and angel investor in GrubHub, Braintree, and Cleversafe.
About Impact Engine
Impact Engine invests in for-profit businesses addressing the world’s greatest social and environmental challenges. Through financial and human capital, it empowers entrepreneurs, investors, and mentors to make a collective impact on society.
# # #
Lynch Communications Group